Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mom's Strategy Books Disappear

Mom always kept books, the one book I came across took me a long time to find though. It was a small book, dated 1955. It was a book by E. S. Howe on "Chess in 30 minutes." I like to collect things like that on chess and board games and I was really distressed that the next time I went to see her it had disappeared. Now imagine my anxiety when I thought about where Mom had put other things.

One time my son, Craig, had brought all his snacks over to eat while he helped Grandpa cut cordwood.  All of a sudden he realized that his snacks were not where he left them. Of course I told him that it serves him right for not putting things "up". But anyway he went down to buy some more because he realized that Grandma had "put them away." Later, way later, that day they found them - in the microwave oven, and sure enough, Grandma had eaten some, but not all. They were energy bars full of protein and my son was worried that Grandma had eaten too many because "she had a lot more energy than normal."

Why did she put them in the microwave? My other family asked that question. Well, think about her way of thinking: it is food, it is going to be eaten soon by my son, food needs to be cooked, therefore the quickest way to accomplish all this is to put it in the microwave. I have no idea if she turned the microwave on or not. We are still chuckling over this. I have not yet figured out why she left them in the bag, but I am assuming she forgot to finish her task.

If you follow a possible train of thought, it does make sense. But it also shows that the brain waves can really get mixed up and take a completely insensible route sometimes. But there is always a reason, there is always some kind of path. If mom could, she would retrain her mind. She always talked about the fact that it is possible to "retrain" and would talk much about how to accomplish that by certain exercises connected to other body systems like eye/hand coordination. The point is is that the brain is a marvelous creation and needs to be protected and if possible, retrained.

Anyway, the short of the story is that the book "mysteriously" showed up, my Dad grabbed it and gave it to me. I now get to make use of it and have a good memory with it. So I'll address that book in another post on learning chess and chess moves.

Here is a picture of my Mom and Dad. I feel loved seeing the love in their faces.



No comments:

Post a Comment